MITSUBISHI EVO X

« Older   Newer »
Alex Tigra
icon12  view post Posted on 24/10/2009, 13:31     +1   -1

La nuova Lancer Evolution è la più sofisticata, coinvolgente e tecnologica Evolution mai creata da Mitsubishi. Una sportiva nata per dare il massimo piacere di guida e prestazioni eccellenti.

Il design di Lancer è unico e sorprendente da qualunque angolo la si guardi. Ogni suo dettaglio estetico, dallo spoiler posteriore in alluminio alle nuove prese d’aria e all’aggressivo estrattore d’aria posteriore, è stato creato per un fine: offrire una guida entusiasmante, sempre.

Anche i moderni interni di Lancer Evolution sono pensati per offrire il massimo a livello di comfort ed ergonomia, con un occhio attento allo stile. Il cruscotto ha una caratterizzazione tipicamente sportiva per consentire al pilota di sfruttare al meglio le performance. I sedili anteriori anatomici Recaro garantiscono una posizione di guida ottimale. Il Premium Audio Rockford Fosgate è stato studiato per creare un ambiente acustico di primo livello. Mentre il Mitsubishi Multi Communication System, con Navigatore e Music Server integrati, e il Bluetooth consentono di affrontare qualunque viaggio nella massima comodità.

TEST DRIVE

Its a tough ask - but someone has to do it. Mitsubishi's hot new Evo, the tenth in the series is here and needs a proper test to see how it compares to only to its arch nemesis the Subaru STi, but also its older sibling the Evo IX. MRT need a review by someone who has a bit of experience with the Mitsubishi Evo, and some crazy owner of a brand spanking new lightning blue Evolution MR has lent me their car for the day. So I guide the car north through Sydney's northern suburbs to stretch its legs on the old Pacific Hwy. The corners beckon . . .

But before I can get there, I find myself stopped at a set of lights besides a Holden VE Commodore SS who is keen for a squirt. But we're being sensible here, so we have a chat through the windows, I explain that I'm doing a review and we agree to meetup at a private road further north in an hour. Sweet.

Evo X SST TransmissionEven before I start to leave Sydney behind on the old highway, the SST transmission is impressing me greatly. Set to S-Sport, nail the throttle and the watch as the tacho clips 7000rpm before instantly changing up a gear and charging to the redline again. Approaching a corner in full auto, its as if the transmission has a sixth sense knows about what is happening around the car—it notices the small steering inputs, the engine speed of the car, and as the overall speed, and before you know it the car is downshifting, blipping the accelerator and matching revs like a pro.

I approach one of my favourite off camber corners, but instead of sticking to the old adage of slow in and fast out which is a must to prevent my WRX from understeering like a pig, I nail the throttle early. Any normal auto transmission would downshift clumsily at this point and upset the already precarious balance of the car and one would be in serious trouble, but the SST had downshifted to the correct gear whilst I was under brakes. Brilliant. Evo XThe Evo bucks and squirms and in the corner of my eye I note icons flashing madly on the display - that would be the Evo telling me that I came in too hot and the ASC (Active Stability Control) system is working hard manipulating the throttle and individual brakes to keep the car as close to the apex as possible. In my WRX I'd be on the wrong side of the road by now and in real trouble, yet in the Evo I'm accelerating hard out of the corner which in this case is testament to the brilliance of the car, not how I drove through that corner.

Never has driving an Evo through tight corners and flowing roads been so comfortable. Indeed, I'm still coming to terms with the 9 speaker (plus subwoofer) audio system that is cranking out Queen's Greatest hits which is so at odds with any other audio system found in a previous model. Evo X BBS WheelsI don't think it quite matches the awesome McIntosh system that graces the Subaru Liberty, but it sure is close. And since when has such a precise and dynamic pocket-rocket come standard with bluetooth connectivity, cruise control, keyless entry, automatic climate control, and rain-sensing wipers? True, there is still quite a bit of hard plastic in the interior but it is so much better than previous models. Indeed this particular car has a factory sat-nav system - unheard of previous model Evos. And we are ignoring the other goodies that make the MR model special such as Eibach springs, Bilstein dampers, two piece discs with Brembo calipers and BBS 18-inch alloy wheels.

Time to meet up with Pete the VE Commodore SS driver, and after a 5 min chat about the drive up the old Highway, its time to see how the two cars fare in the time honoured 0-100km sprint. Stand on the brakes, depress the accelerator, revs rise to 3000rpm, wait for it . . . and we're off. Well, the SS is - the Evo feels like it bogs down for a bit before the tacho passes 4000rpm and its off chasing the SS. But its in vain, the 100kmh mark is passed and the Evo X has lost by around a car length. Disappointing, especially considering the better launches I can get in the MRT Exo IX and the 5-speed Evo X I drove a few weeks ago. The MY08 STi would have chopped the Evo as well. Perhaps the SST transmission isn't flawless after all?

Evo X AS/AWC steering wheel controlsBut its the best of three, and I've come armed with some knowledge that should make the next run a bit more competitive, so we line up again and I activate the SST launch control. First, press the ASC button until the display registers that all ASC systems are Off. Select S-Sport mode, step on the brakes and then step on the accelerator. Once again the revs rise to 3000rpm - much like last time, and then wait a moment - the revs shoot up to a tick over 5000rpm. Much more like it. Off the brakes and the Evo X shoots off much more urgently - there is no bogging down this time and the SS is left chasing the Evo to the 100kmh mark. Much more like it. The third pass is worse for the SS - Pete mucks up the launch with too much wheel spin and is left far behind. In contrast, the Evo slips the tyres just a bit with Launch Control activated and just bolts off the line. Foolproof.

We try some 100-0kmh comparisons as well, and the differences are marked. The VE SS Commodore has never been renowed for its brakes, but the Evo X MRs uprated Brembo brake package causes the car to slow exceptionally quickly time after time with little fade. Call it 3 clear wins to the Evo X by over two car lengths on all occasions.

Evo X 4B11T EngineDriving south on the way back to Sydney I reflect on the power delivery of the Evo X compared to previous iterations. Sure, the new engine may deliver 217kw (up 11kw on the Evo IX) and 366Nm (also up 11Nm on the Evo IX) with increased low and mid range response, and its turbo shove is still Oh so adictive. But it doesn't feel as frenetic and manic as the old Evo IX - that would be the extra 150kg the MR version has on the old model blunting the engine enhancements. It would also explain why the manual 5 speed Evo X is nearly half a second slower over 400m than the previous model - the fantastic SST transmission is why the Evo X can nearly match the outright acceleration of the Evo IX.

Regretfully its soon time to hand the car back to its relieved owner, and as I trundle home in typical Sydney evening traffic I reflect upon Mitsubishi latest Evolution.

There is no denying it, the formidable AWC system found in the Evo IX is now even better in the Evo X with the addition of ASC. Its just so easy for mediocre drivers such as myself to keep tighter liners through corners and take corners at speeds where you would be in serious trouble in other noted sports cars. The SST transmission is just brilliant, you simply wouldn't buy and Evo X with a 5 speed transmission that is inferior to the old Evo IX 6 speed gearbox (indeed the 5 speed dates back to the Evo VIII) - indeed the SST is the primary ingrediant that makes the Evo X the brilliant drive that it is.

Evo X InteriorThe car is also so much easier to live with on a day to day basis. Whilst the handling and ride is still firm, it is no longer the bone-jarring billycart ride that is highlighted on many of Sydney's poorly surfaced roads. With the SST, in peak-hour you can just leave it in full auto mode and set to Normal shift and enjoy the trip home listening to your favourite CD or catch up with your friends with the bluetooth phone connection, or compared to previous Evos just enjoy the relative comfort of the cabin. Come to an open stretch of road, change the SST to S-Sport and smile . . . .

So if you are in the market for a four-wheel pocket rocket and have between $60-70K to spend, which version should you get? There is the base model for $59,490 with 5 speed manual transmission, you can order the SST on top for an additional $5000 taking the cost to $64,490, or tick the Performance Package (BBS Alloy wheels, Eibach/Bilstein suspension and uprated Brembo brakes) as well for another $5500 taking the total to $69990. Seriously, if you are going to tick these two options, you may as well purchase the MR edition for $71,690 with its fantastic Recaros in addition.

Evo X battery in bootLet me be bold and suggest there are only three possible reasons for buying the base model without SST. One would be that you are sold on the dream of the Evo but finances don't allow any slack beyond the base $59,490. For those in this category, if you can accept a slightly lower rent interior without cruise and bluetooth, I'd recommend you stay away from the base Evo X and pick up a well-sorted secondhand Evo IX. The Evo IX will be more manic, faster and cheaper to boot than any new manual Evo X.

The second reason would be that you intend to seriously modify the car and make some serious grunt. Mitsubishi are cagey about just how much torque the Getrag built TC-SST transmission can cope with, but its a safe bet its around the 450-500Nm for daily driving. Considering the potential of the Evo X's 4B11T engine, it won't be too hard to push beyond the limits of TC-SST, so a 5 speed manual would make more sense if you intend to serious enhance your Evo X. The reliability concerns of the SST at higher power levels is also the reason that the tricked UK FQ-360 version comes with the 5 speed manual only. The third is that you intend to use the Evo X as a serious track weapon. As yet there is no indication whether the SST transmission will be immune to the overheating issues that have plagued so many other automatic gearboxes - time will tell.

So are there any downsides to this awesome car? Well, the added weight does blunt the performance of an arguably brilliant engine, and the car does tend to lean on the outside front wheel more heavily than in previous Evo models. Indeed back to back tests between the Evo IX and X models on both the strip and track have demonstrated that the Evo IX holds the performance edge in both areas over the new Evo X (both SST and Manual versions).

Evo X InteriorFurthermore, diehard Evo fans who critised the Evo VI-IX range for being too soft compared to the Evo VI may well be disappointed with the Evo X's broader appeal and softening around the edges. “We are looking to broaden the appeal of the car,” said Mitsubishi Australia’s product strategy manager, Chris Maxted. “We still want the brutal performance, but it’s about taking that performance and putting it into a package that can be managed as a day-to-day car. People want a more versatile car in the $50K-plus sports car segment. They want driveability. It’s about not having to get out of the [Evo] with back ache.”

The good news is that it is possible to get back some of the animalistic charm of the old Evo X by giving the engine more oomph with an EcuTeK retune. MRT are working hard on Australia suitable EcuTeK Evo X tunes for the Evo X - more details will posted shortly on the MRT website. Work has also commenced on the XA, XB and SC kits which promise to transform the Evo X into a real monster that is also an easy car to live with day-to-day. Stay tuned!

More Info

For another review of the Evo X by Brett Middleton, Managing Director of MRT, click here.

For an audio interview on tips and tricks on the Evo X, click here.

N.B. Thanks to Brett and Caradvice for their photos - not everything went to plan on this test drive and I managed to lose all the photos I took . . . .

hks LANCER EVO X

franknos90
view post Posted on 24/10/2009, 16:02     +1   -1

CITAZIONE (Alex Tigra @ 24/10/2009, 14:31)
La nuova Lancer Evolution è la più sofisticata, coinvolgente e tecnologica Evolution mai creata da Mitsubishi. Una sportiva nata per dare il massimo piacere di guida e prestazioni eccellenti.

sofisticata? sicuramente si..
tecnoclogica? sicuramente si..
coinvolgente? punti di vista..
massimo piacere di guida? punti di vista..
prestazioni eccellenti? sicuramente si..

va forte, senza ombra di dubbio.. ma l'ultima vera Lancer prodotta, per stile di guida e coinvolgeimento, è stata la EvoIX fino a questo momento.. e spero che Mitsubishi torni sulla retta via.. ;)

Alex Tigra
view post Posted on 24/10/2009, 16:26     +1   -1

guarda secondo me....la IX è la IX!!! vale a dire da stock concordo in pieno....

ma se chi ci mette le mani sopra (sono uscite un po di versoni tirate) dice che è una belva con potenziale altissimo rispetto alle precedenti ci credo...perchè in questa versione si sono sbizzarriti in molte novità...

poi nei rally ad esempio riconoscono i miglioramenti tra l'ultima e la penultima versione...
secondo me bisogna ancora scoprire dove può arrivare....
nel frattempo W la IX ma con un occhio a questa bestia...

Ryosuke Takahashi
view post Posted on 24/10/2009, 18:40     +1   -1

La Evo è veramente una signora auto... ;)

Kazeshini
view post Posted on 24/10/2009, 18:49     +1   -1

beh...io la vedo piu come auto che in rapporto a prezzo prestazioni è a dir tanto soddisfacente...insomma spenrede quasi 100K euro per un 4Wd non è proprio il massimo anche perchè ui cavalli servono soprattutto per muovere tutto quel ben di dio chehanno sopra, una macchina troppo grossa per i mieri gusti...la vedo impacciata XD

Skyline85
view post Posted on 25/10/2009, 02:08     +1   -1

dopo averne viste alcune dal vivo posso dire che a livello estetico preferivo moltissimo le precedenti

ZioNitrox94
view post Posted on 25/10/2009, 09:58     +1   -1

anche a me questa piace da impazzire ma preferisco di gran lunga la evo IX

DonnieCap
view post Posted on 2/10/2014, 05:14     +1   -1

7 replies since 24/10/2009, 13:31   8947 views